Friday, June 4, 2010

Making Progress and New Art

This is  an oil pastel painting 16"X20" of my front yard in NM. Roses and red yuccas are in bloom, and even chitalpa blossomed in the past few days. It looks beautiful. My daughter and I sat on our front porch last night and painted together. She loves it when I let her use the "professional grade" art materials and I let her use my oil pastels. The evening was absolutely gorgeous, after a hot hot day in ALbuquerque. 
After painting exclusively with acrylics for the past year or so it was fun to hold an oil pastel stick in my hands. However, I must admit that i miss the color and texture intensity that one cannot achieve with oil pastels. Colors seem to be more muted and I have to be careful not to overload the support with oil pastels (which was hard since I got so used to used tons of paint and acrylic mediums to create texture!

Oh, well. I still like the painting. I love the Southwest, its intense colors and bright flowers. It is actually quite amazing how many beautiful plants thrive in NM.None of the plants in our front yard require much water - as a matter of fact too much  water makes them unhealthy. We had a slow leak (which turned into a major one!) and it almost killed the tree. But now that it is fixed chitalpa is doing great. 


Albuquerque, NM 2010.

Sinoc sam sa svojom cerkicom sjedila ispred kuce i slikala. Ona uziva u tome da joj ja dam profesionalne umjetnicke pastele da i ona slika njima. Vecer je bila predivna i topla, a zalazak sunca je ucinio da sve boje cvijeca postaju jos intenzivnije i ljepse. Ovo mi je bio prvi put u godinu dana i vise da slikam uljnim pastelama i mogu reci da mi se mnogo vise dopada da slikam akrlinim bojama. Docarati kako svjetlost siri svoju magicnu moc na divljem zapadu je tesko uraditi  - i mislim d a uljne pastele nisu dovoljno dobar medium za to. Sutra se definitvno vracam akrilnim bojama! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails