Monday, December 21, 2015

Summary of 2015

 2015 has been a great year for my development as an artist. The year started with a show at The Milner Gallery in Edmonton in January, where I displayed my large paintings of lakes, sunflower fields and forests.  This space is visited by many people and having a show there gives an emerging artist a good opportunity to show their work locally. I had a lot of feedback from this show and am grateful to have been juried in to show here.

I measured the nooks before painting the triptych so they fit perfectly into the spaces!


January was also quite busy with a 30 in 30 days project (it is becoming a tradition :)). The theme this year was "Remembering Bosnia" and I painted 30 paintings on different subjects related to my childhood and the place where I was born and raised. Here is the collage of all the paintings I painted.


I also participated in a group show at Harcourt House - "New Territories". There was a lot of great art in this show. I am happy to be a member, and hope to attend more educational events and classes they offer throughout the year. 


Another fun art show was held at Parkallen in the summer - it was only one day and it was great to meet other Edmonton artists and talk to people who visited the show. It was a very nice sunny day as well (until the evening when it rained for a little bit).


Another great place to show locally is The Carrot Gallery - it is a volunteer supported coffee shop/gallery/art space. My Wild Things were on display there in July! I am happy my art was there this year. Several people recognized my art style from this show when they visited MakeIt Edmonton!

I participated in VASA group show as well! What a great group of artists in St. Albert! 



I am delighted that my large painting Mysterious Forest was purchased by The Occupational Therapy Department at the University of Alberta as a part of their permanent collection! It looks great in their space and I am honoured that they chose my art!


 My art was juried to show at Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital at their main gallery (Mezzanine Gallery) and was on display there until December 14, 2015. It is a great space to show big art pieces and contribute to healing and recovery of patients there! I am happy to have had this opportunity. The jury at GRH must really like my art since they chose me again for the 2016 programming! I am excited to show there again in August-September 2016.


Earlier in the year, I walked into Steeps Tea Lounge on Whyte and asked the owner Winston if I could show my art there. I ended up putting three shows on - small animal paintings, New Mexico paintings and large animals! Thank you Winston for supporting local art - it is much appreciated!






 I also became a Makie this year. This is a huge crafts show at Expo. It was a very busy 4 day show and an interesting experience.


My painting "Golden Calf" was chosen to be a part of Edmonton Environmental Report Calendar - it is for the month of April. I just received a copy of the calendar in the mail and it looks great!

One of the best things that happened this year is that I got a studio space and moved my studio there. I am very productive in my new space and am enjoying the solitude that it provides. I am looking forward to creating there in a new year. I am starting 2016 with a 30 in 30 days challenge again - this time I am painting corvids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails