Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Galleries in Edmonton

Here is one of the earliest large paintings I have done. I am so happy that I am able to pursue painting full time since we moved to Canada. It was a good decision. I am learning every day, painting and drawing and building on my ideas. 

I have been in Edmonton for four years. There are many galleries in town and I visited all of them on many occasions (at least all those that pop up in google search). I love to visit new galleries - to check out art and do research on gallery itself (to see if it would be a good fit for me and my art).

I noticed that there are a lot of out of town artists represented in Edmonton galleries, and a few local artists. There are not that many young(er), or emerging artists represented. I was surprised that local talent is not promoted more.

I also noticed the lack of customer service. There are only a couple of galleries where we visited and were greeted and felt welcome. Not a single gallery attendant ever engaged in a conversation about the artwork on the walls or to speak about the artists represented. That must have been the biggest surprise of all. There were a few occasions where the artist at the show opening was left to do all the mingling and talking and socializing and promoting their work, while the owner usually did not do much than look at their smart phone.

It's definitely educational to visit the gallery before sending personal art info to them.






No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails