Saturday, December 31, 2016

Summary of 2016

Wow! It is hard to believe that this is the last day of 2016! It has been an interesting year.
I spent a lot of time developing my technique and contemplating what direction I would like to go in. My main focus has been painting different animals and exploring symbolism of animals in different cultures and mythologies.

 

I started the year with a series of small paintings of corvids. They have been a constant in my art throughout the years. It is becoming a tradition for me to start the year with 30 small paintings in January. It starts the year in a productive mode and it is fun to pick a theme and experiment with new paints, colours and textures on smaller canvases.

During the summer, I had two solo shows in Edmonton - one at the Inspire Gallery at GRH and one at the Mezzanine Gallery at GRH. It is a wonderful place to show my art - I am happy to be able to contribute in a small way to patients' recovery at the Glenrose Rehab Hospital. I am grateful for the opportunity to show in both of these spaces this year. It is hard to get juried into shows locally and I am honoured to be chosen among so many talented artists in Edmonton.




Later on in the summer I came back to one of my favourite subjects - painting koi fish. I got inspired by a young lady who went to the Olympics this year representing Canada. She had a tattoo of koi fish turning into a dragon and told me a Chinese story of persistence of one koi fish that was rewarded for its efforts to jump the tall waterfall by becoming a dragon.

This series of paintings was born, and I will be showing some of my koi paintings at Muttart in January, and dragon-koi paintings later on at the GRH in the summer.



My Windows series is a beginning of a major project that digs deeper into human interactions with nature. I strive to depict human characteristics by painting animals. 12 animals chosen for this first series are all animals that live in Bosnia where I was born and raised.


I am looking forward to 2017! I already have three solo shows scheduled for the year, and am waiting to hear results from more applications I sent in. It is important to get a juried exhibit space - it motivates me and keeps me in a creative mode. I have a good feeling about the next year - so many ideas and projects are already going on - I just have to make sure that I stay focused and keep painting every day!

Huge thank you to all my art collectors, supporters and friends who cheer me on and encourage me to continue creating! Happy New Year!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails