Sunday, January 29, 2017

#29 Black Bear, Canada 150 paintings by Natasa Vretenar

A lot of times I ask my family members for critiques of my paintings. Kids are really good at it because they are honest. My son told me I should probably tone down this one when I only used the bright pink on the edges of the painting (small circles and dots). So naturally, I go in a totally opposite direction and go a bit wild with bright pink!


As I was working on this painting, I remembered the dancing bears that Gypsies had in Yugoslavia where I grew up. They would bring the bears to cities and our neighbourhoods and play music and they would have these poor bears chained up and living in slavery and torture all their lives. I was always terrified of this and felt so bad for the bears. I have no idea how this was even allowed. I sure hope it does not happen any more. Anyways, I painted this little fellow as a happy, free bear with a lot of bright, cheerful colours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails