Thursday, May 4, 2017

Canada 150 project summary

Here it is - a collage of all the paintings I completed for the Canada 150 project. Enjoy it! Each painting is made with a lot of love by me. It starts with an idea for each painting, carefully picking a subject matter, colours, design, composition. I think that first step is the most important - planning the painting! It takes a while to prepare the substrates properly, and I do this in small batches - sealing, gessoing, layering the first few paint layers. I always had a few extra substrates ready on hand, just in case I felt more productive on any given day.


This was such a fun project - it took me 124 consecutive days to finish 150 11" diameter paintings. One day late in 2016 I was thinking about what to do and came up with the idea to do 150 paintings. I ordered custom substrates, and started painting away - first the animals that live in Canada and then other subjects that are related to living in Canada. 

There were many times when I would lose steam and take a break from the project for a few days, but the key to successfully completing the project was a constant support from my friends on social media, and getting myself to work every day! I did 30 in 30 days projects before and that was challenging - but this project was intense. I am so glad I stuck with it and completed all 150 paintings to commemorate Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation. 

I learned a lot about Canada and its people during this project. I asked many people what it means to them to be a Canadian, why they are happy or proud to be a Canadian etc. It was a lovely experience, and I feel that there is so much more to explore and learn about Canada.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails