Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Burden of Beauty


I have been working on this for a while. Went wild on texture - stems and thorns are sticking out everywhere. The sculpture is made of air dry clay, and this is the first time I am using it (Polyform from Michaels). I forgot to take a few pictures of the process, but I am sure I will soon be making more sculptures and I will document it a bit better. This lady is about 16 inches tall and base is 8" wide. I made the roses from Liquitex pouring media, and the whole sculpture is painted with acrylic paint. Black drawings are made with Molotow markers - my favorite!



This has been a challenging project on many levels - one is new materials, second is 3D, third is keeping the color palette minimalistic (just black and white allowed). It's been a struggle! So many times I wanted to splash some bright red on those roses lol. But I did not. I am on a quest to say as much as possible in my work without going overboard with color. Let's see how long that lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails